Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Peacocks Everywhere

I went to the Bronx Zoo last week. Yep, out of work means you have time to do all those amazing things that people come to New York to do, but which New Yorkers never have time to do. So, there I am, mid-camel ride (you read that right) when I spotted a peacock. A peacock in the middle of the Bronx is pretty arresting and the fashionista in me was reminded of all the collections that had taken a cue from the gorgeous bird (which is male, by the way. In some strange twist of fate the female doesn't have those stunning "eye" feathers), starting with Proenza Schouler's spring 2005 collection.




Proenza Schouler spring 2010

How stunning is this dress? I am sure it cost as much as a small car, but no matter, because it is truly a piece of art.

As I watched the peacock and admired its iridescent feathers I was reminded of another fashion moment, courtesy of Miuccia Prada. Her spring 2005 collection was full of feathered toppers and dresses that were a strange juxtaposition to the crocheted fabrics and patent leather loafers in the same looks.


Prada spring 2005

Designers will always take cues from nature. Thank goodness we haven't seen the pigeon's influence on any recent runways, though maybe it's just a matter of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment